The MLS is one of the fastest growing sports leagues in the world as they have grown from 10 teams in 2004 all the way to 27 teams this season. This abundance of teams ensures that MLS action is almost always available to watch and bet on. We here at BetPicks provide expert MLS Free Picks and aim to provide only the Top Picks. Ranging from the winner of each game to goalscorers in particular games. This season is one of the most exciting and anticipated seasons yet as fans have returned to professional sports. Additionally as the MLS is not the most popular league in the world, sportsbooks can overlook certain games, which makes it easier for our Expert Picks as we find you value as a bettor.
MLS Free Picks - Best Bets of the Week
What Makes A Great MLS Free Pick?
A great MLS free pick is viewed in the long-term rather than the short-term. It is important to find a betting method that works for you. Statistics and trends are important, the betting method may not work the first time, but that does not mean the system is flawed. The important thing is long-term success. The aim is to provide you with an enjoyable MLS betting experience that is profitable in the long-term.
How Do We Create Our MLS Free Picks?
We here at BetPicks spend hours researching and watching the MLS. We are avid fans of the league and are up to date on the aforementioned statistics and trends that make up profitable MLS betting. Our analysis involves previous bets, performances, individual players’ impacts and much more. All in order to provide you with the best MLS betting experience possible.
What MLS Free Picks Do We Offer at BetPicks?
- Full time result: 3-way moneyline bets. The bettor has the option to bet on either team winning the game or they can bet on a draw. The 3-way moneyline method is the most common type of betting in the MLS.
- Handicaps: work as a spread does and typically range from 0.0 to 0.5, but can go even higher getting up to 1.0 or in rare circumstances 1.5 or higher. Handicap betting in soccer is more popular overseas.
- Draw No Bet: You may see DNB being used when talking about the MLS, this is a “draw no bet”. Essentially you are betting on the selected team to win the game. however, if that team was to draw you would get a push rather than a loss. It eliminates the possibility of losing on a draw by giving you a push instead.
- Totals: the amount of goals scored in the game by both teams combined. Typically an MLS total is set at 2.5 or 3 goals, with the league average for goals per match usually falling somewhere in between 2.5-3 goals. Total betting is a fun way to enjoy a game as you are not routing for a specific team, but either routing for the offense or defense.
- Double Chance: Betting double chance essentially gives you the opportunity to select two outcomes of a 3-way moneyline and if either of those outcomes wins, then you win the bet. The odds on a double chance are almost always favourites, as you in essence have a 2/3 chance.
- Correct Score: this type of market is exactly as it sounds – you are attempting to predict the exact score in a match. You can either choose to bet on the exact score with either team winning, you can bet on the exact score of a draw or you can bet on the exact score and a specific team winning. Correct score betting is fun as the odds are long, but you get to root for a very specific result.
- Futures: Future picks in the MLS are pretty plain and simple. On most sportsbooks your two standard choices are betting on the MLS Cup winner and the Top Goalscorer. Future betting is a fun way to engage yourself long-term in a season and even grow fandom for a particular team or player.
- Player props: typically pertain to the goalscorers. You can bet on an anytime goalscorer and get odds that range from +200 to +2500. You can also bet on the first goalscorer if you are looking for even crazier odds. Player props give you longshot odds, but give you something to root for that is independent from the match result.
How to Choose the Best MLS Free Pick For Me?
If you are a beginner in MLS betting keep it simple. Bet on single games and choose a full-time result or totals. Do not overcomplicate, give yourself one game to pay attention to at a time. Check our MLS free picks and feel free to do your own research. find an avenue that works for you. Once you are more experienced you can expand into parlays and prop betting.
Long-time bettors will feel more comfortable picking MLS games with established betting methods, but a second opinion always helps. That is what we are here to provide, take our analysis and cross-reference it with your own. See where you find similarities, if you love what you are reading that is likely a strong sign you should bet it.
Looking for many solid wins or one big win? Chasing that big win on a parlay is always attractive, but soccer can be so wild and unpredictable at times that it is not worth it. The real way to make profit betting on the MLS is to find a long-term strategy. Perhaps you have a really good feel on totals, so you should bet on it. Or maybe you know which games the team you root for will win or lose, it is your team after all, you know them best. Parlays are fun once in a while, but find a long-term betting strategy for success, leave the parlays as a casual throw-in or a low stakes bet.
MLS Betting Strategies
You should try to find value in everything you bet on in the MLS.
- Do not bet on large favourites – I would not bet on anything with odds that pay less than -130. Large favourites can kill your bankroll, you must weigh the risk with the reward. If the risk outweighs the reward, the bet is not worth it. If you do not feel confident in something, then do not bet on it.
- Parlays with DNB – If you enjoy betting on parlays that is fine, but I would typically look to bet parlays with DNBs as it is difficult to score three winners on a soccer weekend. Using DNBs hurts your value a bit, but it gives the possibility of a partial parlay win if two out of three teams win, and one draws.
- Bet what you feel confident in – perhaps it is a +500 anytime goalscorer, do not be scared of the odds. If you are confident in something and have done your research, then you should ride with that confidence. We at BetPicks go through dozens of bets for each game and weigh, which one is a likely outcome, but also provide the bettor with value and sizable win.
- If the game feels like a toss-up avoid the ML and look at totals – If you have a good feel for both teams and know it will be a tight game, then odds are you have an idea of what the goal total will be.
MLS Schedule 2022
The MLS season has 459 matches in it and sees each team play 34 games, 17 at home and 17 on the road. The Top 7 teams in each conference (Eastern/Western) make the playoffs, with the top seeded team in each conference earning a bye to their conference semifinals.
All teams are now playing out of their home stadiums, as the Canadian teams had begun their season playing entirely in the United States, because of Covid-19 restrictions. Here are some key dates to remember:
- February 26th: 2022 season kick-off
- July 10th-16th: The Heineken Rivalry Week.
- August 11th: MLS All-Star game takes place.
- October 9th: End of regular season (Decision Day)
- November 5th: The MLS Cup is awarded and signals the ending of the MLS Season.
BetPicks will be covering the MLS from all the way up until the conclusion of the MLS Playoffs.
MLS 2022 Teams
- Atlanta United FC
- CF Montreal
- Charlotte FC
- Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew
- D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati
- Inter Miami
- New England Revolution
- New York City FC
- New York Red Bulls
- Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union
- Toronto FC
Keep an Eye On:
- New England Revolution: The Revolution are out for vengeance this season. The Revs had an incredible regular-season in 2021, but ultimately fell short in the MLS Playoffs. New England won the Eastern Conference by 19 points, but lost in the Eastern Semi-Finals to NYCFC in penalty kicks. The loss of Tajon Buchanan looms large, but bringing in Jozy Altidore as a finisher to compliment Gustavo Bou, Adam Buska and Carles Gil should have its advantages.
- New York City FC: The defending champions of the MLS, NYCFC essentially bring back an identical squad for 2022. Valentin Castellanos will be sure to lead the way again after scoring 19 goals in 32 matches for New York last season, the 23-year old Argentine forward has seen his market value grow immensely. If Castellanos has another massive season, he could be on his way overseas.
- Toronto FC: TFC cleaned house after an incredibly disappointing season, ending ties with 10+ players. They stole the transfer window by signing Lorenzo Insigne to a “pre-contract”, Insigne will not arrive until July but when he does, he will arguably be the best player in the MLS.
- Austin FC
- Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo
- Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Galaxy
- Minnesota United FC
- Nashville SC
- Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake
- San Jose Earthquakes
- Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting Kansas City
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Keep an Eye On::
- Los Angeles FC: LAFC looks to reinvigorate the battle for Los Angeles after a poor campaign in 2021. Maxime Crepeau is now between the pipes for LAFC and most importantly Carlos Vela is healthy. Vela has had two injury-plagued seasons in a row, but when he is on, Vela is arguably the most prolific striker in the MLS. If Vela stays healthy, watch out for LAFC.
- Seattle Sounders: The Sounders did not do a ton of restructuring during the transfer window, but the addition of Slovakian national, Albert Rusnak gives them more talent at the midfield position. Look for the Sounders to take advantage of their young “homegrown” talent to have an impact on this season, the Tacoma Defiance have done a great job of developing talent for the Sounders over the years.
- Nashville SC: Hany Mukhtar, the MVP runner-up from last season is back to lead the attack for Nashville. An absolute pain to play against Nashville’s true bread and butter is their defense. Last season Nashville allowed a league-low 33 goals against and they will look to replicate that in the Western Conference after this season’s realignment.
New York City Football Club won last year’s MLS Cup defeating the Western Conference representative, the Portland Timbers 1-1 (4-2) in the Final after an exciting penalty kicks finish. The LA Galaxy are still the all-time leaders in wins both in the playoffs and regular season, they have also won a record 5 MLS Cups.
The MLS’ greatest goalscorer Chris Wondolowski has hung up his cleats after 171 goals in his illustrious career. The closest active player is now Kei Kamara who has returned to the MLS with Montreal CF, Kamara has recorded 130 goals in his MLS career. Landon Donovan, who once provided Wondolowski with many goals on the U.S. National team will see his assists record of 136 remain untouched this season. LA Galaxy’s Sacha Kljestan (the closest active player) still trails by over 40 assists.
Speaking of MLS legends, Colorado Rapids’ Drew Moor has surpassed 35,000 minutes played in the MLS. The 38 year-old centre-back could move into the Top 5 with a long successful campaign of over 2,000 minutes played this season.
The MLS still has older international talent like Carlos Vela and Javier Hernandez providing moments of brilliance but they also sport young/exciting players. Valentin Castellanos , Thiago Almada and Facundo Torres just to name a few. The MLS has never been more exciting and the league is playing at its highest level ever.
2022 playoffs Picks and Predictions
Unlike most North American sports the MLS Playoffs are single-game elimination, the stakes are high and the betting opportunities are plentiful. The MLS Playoffs is an exciting time to bet on Soccer, as well as before the Playoffs kick-off, as the race for the Playoff spots is heating up.
As we enter September, the season is about 2/3 done and the contenders and pretenders have been determined, but sitting in between those teams are the teams still trying to lock down a playoff spot. The MLS standings are razor tight and each game is vital to a team’s playoff aspirations. In my opinion this final third of the season is the best time to find value in MLS betting as desperation takes over and teams chasing a playoff berth will show tremendous underdog value.
During the playoffs you can continue to bet on three-way moneylines, but you can also place an alternative bet on who will advance of the two teams. This eliminates the possibility of losing your bet on a draw and can provide significant value to an underdog who may be playing for penalty kicks.